Title and Date of Work: San Giorgio dei Greci, 1610
Name of Artist: Andrea Palladio
Exact Location: Saint George's Anglican Church, Venice
Medium: Brass and Copper
Basilica di San Giorgio Maggiore is located on the little island of San Giorgio Maggiore. The basilica is one of the masterpieces of Andrea Palladio, the great italian Renaissance architect from nearby Vicenza.
Andrea Palladio was commissioned to build San Giorgio, and it was completed in 1610. Palladio designed two interlocking facades, with repeating triangles, rectangles, and columns that are carefully and harmoniously proportioned.
Founded as early as the 10th century, the interior of the church was reinterpreted by Palladio with whitewashed surfaces, stark, and unadorned but harmonious space. The main altar is flanked by two epic paintings by an elderly Tintoretto, The Fall of Manna, to the left, and the more noteworthy Last Supper, to the right, famous for its chiaroscuro.